Black and Intellectual is an independent thought platform that welcomes writers who are both experienced and well-known, but also new writers looking for a place for their work to be seen and trying to gain experience guest blogging.
Check out the content already existing on the website to get an idea of the type of stories we like to tell. Topics include, but are not limited to, current events, health & wellness, spirituality / "new age", science/technology and history. We're also accepting all sorts of types of reviews whether it be a book review, film review, video game review or TV show review. If you have an idea that involves a topic that you're unsure about, send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org so we can discuss the details together.
We post articles and blog entries meant to spark enlightened and insightful discussions important to all people of color with an emphasis on people of African descent. That does not mean however that pitches about other groups will not be accepted though. Black and Intellectual is a platform with an openly left-leaning bias and we are unapologetic about that. So all radical thought pieces will be seriously considered.
Unfortunately at this time we cannot provide payment for submissions, though we anticipate that will change in the coming months as this platform grows larger and larger. What will help speed that process up is if we can get at least 3-5 solid, consistent writers who are willing to write a minimum of 2 posts per week. The regular contributors will be the first to benefit from a payment plan, then we will go from there. As of right now however, we can't provide a time estimate on when that will happen. Subscribe to our mailing list to keep abreast of any changes to this policy.
We are now accepting poetry and short fiction to go in what will become the Black and Intellectual Writer's Hub. Afro-Futurism, Black science fiction, Black fantasy and Black love/romance are all genres that need more platforms to support them. Contemporary Black fiction or poetry are also welcomed as well. As stated above, we will also accept fictional work from other groups of color as well.
We are also accepting video submissions via Youtube, Vimeo or Twitch. Video submissions can involve any of the same topics list above.
Follow the submission guidelines below before submitting your work.
- Short-Form Submissions: 400 - 800 words (1-2 pages, single-spaced, Times New Roman)
- Long-Form Submissions: 1,200 - 2,800 words (3-7 pages, single-spaced, Time New Roman)
- Video Submissions: no maximum time limit, but make the videos at least 5 minutes long.
- Fiction/Poetry: right now we're only looking for short stories. So 5-10 pages single-spaced. Times New Roman. If you want to post something longer contact us at email@example.com so we can work it out.
- When it comes to sources, if your source is anything online...use hyperlinks in your word processing document that can be clicked on once it is sent to us so that we can verify it.
- ALL submissions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and NOT the through the contact box below. Subject should read: 'Content Submission - TITLE OF YOUR PIECE'
- All first-time submissions should also come with a short 3-5 sentence biography and a picture so that you can be added to our 'About' page.